question on SunOS 4.1 TFS...

Larry McVoy lm at sun.com
Fri Mar 9 18:28:27 AEST 1990

In article <5595 at brazos.Rice.edu> gca!beaulieu at uunet.uu.net (Larry Beaulieu) writes:

>According to the 1/90 4.1 release report, TFS will be useful when "users
>want to install local versions of a binary..." Is this an implication that
>ONLY binary files will be supported under TFS?

You've misunderstood TFS (Translucent File System).  It's a stacked file
system - it sits on top of another file system and requests for files are
satisfied from the top file system if the files exist in that system and
from the bottom file system otherwise.  The example is an obviuos use: if
a use has some program (that is broken because: ) that insists on living
in /usr/local/bin (like mh) and you can't write in /usr/local/bin (like
me) then you can put your program in an otherwise empty file system and
mount that file system over /usr/local/bin.

What I say is my opinion. I am not paid to speak for Sun, I'm paid to hack.
Besides, I frequently read news when I'm drjhgunghc, err, um, drunk.

 Larry McVoy, Sun Microsystems     (415) 336-7627     ...!sun!lm or lm at sun.com