NFS mounting Suns from Ultrix boxes

steve at umiacs.umd.edu steve at umiacs.umd.edu
Sat Mar 24 01:14:16 AEST 1990

Mounting Suns from Ultrix machines works OK, so long as both are on thej
same IP subnet of the same IP network, and maybe in the case where the two
machines are on completely different IP networks.  However, if they're on
the same IP net but not on the same IP subnet, the Ultrix nfs_mount
program (called by mount) can't pick an address 'close' to the Sun, and
ends up trying to bind garbage when it tries to get a reserved port.  So
it gets an unreserved port (since that code seems to work), and if the Sun
has nfs_portmon on, the mount fails.

I submitted a SPR to DEC about this, but I don't know the SPR number.  The
Ultrix support folks may be able to provide a patched nfs_mount program,
but then again, they may not.  I don't know.  The fix to nfs_mount is a
one-liner.

I don't know about the client credential stuff; you might check to be sure
that the Sun has the right IP address listed (in /etc/hosts, YP, or -- one
hopes! -- your domain nameservers) for the Ultrix machine.  It could be
deciding that the client's IP address doesn't match its hostname for some
reason.  Then again, it could be doing something completely different.  (I
haven't run into *this* problem, so I haven't checked it out.)

	-Steve

Spoken: Steve Miller    Domain: steve at umiacs.umd.edu    UUCP: uunet!mimsy!steve
Phone: +1-301-454-1808  USPS: UMIACS, Univ. of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742