Ideas about configuring a 3/50 and a 3/60????

PPMCMAHON at cs.tcd.ie PPMCMAHON at cs.tcd.ie
Wed Mar 7 01:22:00 AEST 1990

I am looking for advise on how to configure a 3/50 and a 3/60 I inheritted
these two machines and they are in a wee bit of a mess. As I am new to
sys. management I am looking to all you gurus for help.

This is the scenario

the 3/50 (call it A)
4M ram
180M disk
16M swap
1 tape unit

the 3/60 (call it B)
12M ram
480M disk  (split into 9 partitions ranging in size from 7 - 170M !!!)
16M swap

Both machines are running SunOS 4.0_Export (is this 4.0.1?) I hope to
upgrade this to 4.0.3 soon, when all your suggestions will be swung into
action. Those are the basics, now for my questions....

Are my swap sizes big enough - neither machine has run out of swap space
but if it was bigger would performance improve? This is important for Sun
A as people find it very slow!

Can I easily add third party memory to A - I heard that I could not?

Is 4.0.3 any quicker than 4.0.1?

As for the  disks this is what I have in mind...

Sun A

partition 1	root filesystem
partition 2	/usr ...
partition 3 	man and cat directories - exported to Sun B

Sun B

partition 1	root filesystem
partition 2 	/usr ...
partition 3	third-party software - exported to Sun A
partition 4	user home directories - exported to A

How does all this sound to you all?  Any suggestions are very welcome.
e-mail prefered

Thanks in advance
Peter Mc Mahon				ppmcmahon at cs.tcd.ie
Computer Science