Looking for a good source of time on the net.

C.Vaillancourt Hydro-Quebec QC 514-652-8238 vaillan at ireq.hydro.qc.ca
Wed Mar 21 06:34:45 AEST 1990

On our network of 150 Sun we use rdate to set the time on all our systems.
This is a simple way to synchronize them all once a day with crontab.

But we need a good source of time to use with the rdate command.

NOW THE SURPRISE: rdate works with other Sun on the net, try:
    rdate titan.rice.edu (in su on your station, it works...)

My question is: Is there any installation of Sun on the net synchronized
with a receiver to the Universal Coordinated Time?

I think it would be a non-expensive way to synchronize many systems when
an accuracy of about 10 sec. is required.

[[Ed's Note: With the time to reach a remote site across far across the
network, I'm not sure you really get many advantages from using a site
that is synchronized with UCT. -bdg]]

   Clement Vaillancourt,           |   Institut de Recherche d'Hydro-Quebec
   Analyste,                       |        1800 Montee Ste-Julie, Varennes
   Responsable du Reseau Ethernet  |             P. Quebec, Canada, J3X 1S1
   (Analyst, Network Manager)      |    Tel: 514-652-8238 Fax: 514-652-8309