/dev/mem 0n a Sun3/80

Mind Control Division david at eng.sun.com
Sun Mar 11 03:39:24 AEST 1990

In article <5647 at brazos.Rice.edu> kordash at linus.mitre.org (John L.
Kordash) writes:

>Does anyone know why a wc on /dev/mem on a 3/80 does not show all the
>memory that the machine may have?  In our case the 3/80 had 12M. wc did
>accuratly return the byte size of /dev/mem on our other machines.

The 3/80 and 4/60 have non-contiguous physical memory banks.  This is
necessary to allow use of either 1M or 4M SIMMs.  To find out how much
memory is installed in your system, grep for the "mem =" line in
/var/adm/messages.

David DiGiacomo, Sun Microsystems, Mt. View, CA  sun!david david at eng.sun.com