4.0.3 install problems

Jon Zeeff zeeff at b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us
Mon Mar 5 01:28:37 AEST 1990

Two very strange problems installing 4.0.3 on a 3/50:

1) Putting swap in the middle of the disk seemed like a good idea.  Don't
try it - suninstall will rearrange and mess things up without any
warnings.  Apparently it must be right after root.

2) I decided to newfs my /usr/spool partition to be better suited for
news.  I made the block size 4096 and the fragment size 512.  Don't do it
- the kernel will panic with "panic: segmap_unlock".

Can anyone tell me suggested block/inode ratios for a /usr/spool/news
partition?  Given that the files are small and much fragmentation is going
to occur anyway, should I save 10% by not reserving any free space?

General comment:  Sun has a long was to go in making installs simple and
user friendly.

Jon Zeeff    	zeeff at b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us  or b-tech!zeeff