A Solution to VMS X Client to Sun X Server Question

Henry Clark henryc at mcs213k.cs.umr.edu
Mon Mar 26 03:39:19 AEST 1990

Well, after looking at these answers and talking to DEC support critters,
I believe the following are reasonable answers:

1)  Buy a third-party TCP/IP product for VMS (like Wollongong, etc.).
2)  Under VMS 5.3 (which we have), you can use an extra cost product called
    UCX (Ultrix Connection Software, I believe) to force DecWindows to do
    TCP/IP as transport and talk directly to the Sun.
3)  The Ultrix machine (B) has a gateway daemon which runs on it which
    essentially opens a DECNet socket and a TCP/IP socket and bounces
    what it sees on one socket to the other one.
4)  In a new version of Open Windows to be released this summer (by Sun),
    DECNet client connections will be supported.

Well, we'll probably do (2), but have to pay more money :-(.

Thanks to everyone who responded (a list is appended).

Henry

|       Henry Clark        |   Internet: henryc at cs.umr.edu                 |
|  Computer Science Dept.  |   Bitnet:   henryc%cs.umr.edu at umrvmb.bitnet   |
| University of MO - Rolla |   UUCP:     ...!uunet!cs.umr.edu!henryc       |
|     Rolla, MO 65401      |   Phone:    (314) 341-6539 AM, 341-4367 PM    |
----------------------------   FAX:      (314) 341-6512                    |
| #include <disclaimer.h>  |   ICBM:     37.57 N, 91.44 W                  |

List of Contributors:
-dave fetrow-                     fetrow at bones.biostat.washington.edu
J R Evans <ngse18%castle.edinburgh.ac.uk at NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK>
Marc Evans - WB1GRH - evans at decvax.DEC.COM
chris at zork2.cc.binghamton.edu (Chris Peck)
Leonard J. Peirce               Internet:  peirce at gumby.cc.wmich.edu
Jeff Griglack {decvax, cybbax0, mirror}!frog!cpoint!jeff
macphed at herald.USask.CA Ian MacPhedran
dan at rose3.Rosemount.COM (Dan Messinger)
kent at wsl.dec.com
XDATMNLX%DDATHD21.BITNET at CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU  (Michael N. Lipp)
"Grootwassink, David" <grootwass at tawc1.eglin.af.mil>
dwm at ihlpf.att.com (Daniel W Meeks)
brandon%bbc.uucp at NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK
earle at poseur.jpl.nasa.gov (Greg Earle - Sun JPL on-site Software Support)