Fortran bug

Verena Meiser Umar verena at vuse.vanderbilt.edu
Fri Mar 2 05:59:41 AEST 1990

We are having a problem with division by zero when running  Fortran
programs.  The Sun3 architecture does not report the occurrence of such a
division at all, and the Sun4 architecture gives the following warning  -
BUT not until the end of the run:

Warning: the following IEEE floating-point arithmetic exceptions occurred
in this program and were never cleared: Inexact;  Division by Zero;
Invalid Operand;

It would be VERY helpful to have a program terminate execution IMMEDIATELY
when a division by zero occurrs, with some message indicating where the
program terminated.

Any help on this would be appreciated.  Please reply directly to me since
I don't regularly read Sun-Spots.

Verena Umar
verena at vuse.vanderbilt.edu