Sun server 330 & Telebit Trailblazer+...Help!!! [LONG]

Larry Beaulieu gca!beaulieu at uunet.uu.net
Sat Mar 3 08:37:30 AEST 1990

> I am trying to hook up a Trailblazer+ modem and use its PEP mode for
> communication with UUNET(via uucp). I installed the modem and it seems to
> work fine at 9600 for other applications like kermit etc. However, I am
> having trouble setting up for UUCP. Can someone out there help me set it
> up? We have a SUN 330 server running 4.0.3. How do I set it up such that,
> I can switch to PEP mode for UUCP communication and back to 9600 for other
> applications? What should be the entries for L.sys and L-Devices files??

To (hopefully) avoid confusion and multiple postings, this is a document
from Telebit on setup for Suns running 4.X.  It works fine (at least for a
3/280), except for 1 ambiguity in the L.sys file which I note in the
article.  Full credit is given to Telebit Corporation for the document.

					-- Larry

Telebit Corporation            Revision 1.02         01 DECEMBER 1989

  SETUP INSTRUCTIONS FOR TELEBIT MODEMS AND SUNOS 4.X WORKSTATIONS

The following examples should allow easy initialization of a TELEBIT modem
for use with dialin/dialout and UUCP on a SUN 3 or SUN 4 workstation with
SUNOS 4.X.

   NOTE:  These configuration instructions are meant for SUNOS 4.0.3 or
          higher release versions.  It is highly recommended that the
          operating system be upgraded to this release version or that
          the TTY PATCH 5.4 (or higher) be installed before these set-ups
          are attempted.  This patch is available from SUN.

1. MODIFY KERNEL:
   First, the kernel must be modified so that the modem can dial/answer calls.

        cd /usr/sys/conf

        cp GENERIC MODEM

        ------edit MODEM-- change:
                device  zs0 at obio ? csr 0x20000 flags 3 priority 3
        to:
                device  zs0 at obio ? csr 0x20000 flags 0 priority 3
        -----save the file.

        /etc/config MODEM

        cd ../MODEM

        make

        mv /vmunix /vmunix.old

        mv /usr/sys/MODEM/vmunix /vmunix

        ---reboot the system----------

2. CREATE THE DIAL OUT DEVICE (if necessary):
   This will create the entry in /dev needed to dial out with the modem.

        cd /dev

        mknod cua0 c 12 0

        mknod cub0 c 12 1

        chmod 666 cua0 cub0

	(You can also use cua0 and cua1, as suggested in Sun's
	Administrator's guide, instead of cua0 and cub0 -- Larry)

   References to the dialout port in this document assume the ttya port "cua0".
   Connections to ttyb are accomplished by using "cub0".

   NOTE:  It is highly recommended that TELEBIT modems be connected to the
          serial I/O ports ttya and ttyb.  Use of serial I/O multiplexors
          may limit modem speed to 9600 bps or lower due to flow control,
          cpu/bus interrupt, or memory buffer problems.

3. MODIFY /etc/remote
   Add this entry (all characters are literal, i.e. the ^ is 'shift 6'
   on the Sun):

       tb9600:dv=/dev/cua0:br#9600:el=^C^S^Q^U^D:ie=%$:oe=^D:
       tb19200:dv=/dev/cua0:br#19200:el=^C^S^Q^U^D:ie=%$:oe=^D:

   The following /etc/remote may be used for autodialing:

	TELEBIT|Autodial TELEBIT:\
		:el=^D^U^C^S^Q^O@:du:at=hayes:ie=#$%:oe=^D:br#SSSSS:\
		:pn=NNNNNNN:dv=/dev/cua0:

   Where:

	SSSSS =	baud rate [9600/19200]
      NNNNNNN = phone number

4. CONFIGURE MODEM
   In order to configure your TELEBIT modem correctly, it is best to start
   by resetting the modem to factory settings.  Please consult your TELEBIT
   modem reference manual for the proper modem resetting procedure.

   Once the reset is completed, tip to the modem using "tip tb9600" and
   configure it with the command string below:

 AT&F S45=0 S51=5 S52=2 S53=3 S54=3 S58=0 S66=1 S68=3 S110=1 S111=30 Q6 &W<CR>

   This string (the spaces are optional if you prefer to remove them) will:

         - 1st (&F) recalls factory defaults (start with known configuration).
         - 2nd (S45=0) disables remote access. S45=255 sets remote access ON.
		Remote access will allow TELEBIT technical support to
		access and configure your modem, should this be required.
		Remote access is set to OFF in ALL factory shipped modems.
		A hardware reset will set remote access to ON.
         - 3rd (S51=5) sets the serial port to 19200 bps.
         - 4th (S52=2) says drop the connection when DTR is dropped to the modem
                and reload the modem's stored EEPROM values (do a soft reset).
         - 5th (S53=3) sets DSR "ON" when modem is off-hook.
                It also sets DCD "ON" when carrier is detected.
		NOTE:	S53 maps to registers S130 and S131 in Release B_5.00,
			GA1.00, FA2.00, and above firmware.  If S53 is not
			present in your modem firmware, be assured that its
			settings will map to the proper registers.
         - 6th (S54=3) says pass BREAKs through the modem transparently.
         - 7th (S58=0) disables flow control.
                The UUCP protocol support handles flow control instead.
         - 8th (S66=1) locks the interface speed.
		This is necessary during connections with slower modems.
         - 9th (S68=3) XON/XOFF flow control from DCE.
                This setting will allow flow control for interactive sessions.
         - 10th (S110=1) enables data compression between TELEBIT modems.
                If desired, S110=0 will disable this feature.
         - 11th (S111=30) enables TELEBIT's UUCP "g" protocol support.
         - 12th (Q6) silences the modem when an inbound call arrives.
                This prevents getty-battles between the RING result code and
                getty's echo of the same.
         - 13th (&W) writes these new values into the current EEPROM bank (1/2).
                This saves the new values as the modem's power on defaults, for
	        either bank A or B, until you change them again.
         - 14th (<CR>) executes the command line in the modem.

   Upon execution of the command line, the serial interface speed will be
   changed to 19200 bps.  As a result of this action, garbage characters
   will be echoed as a response to any input.  Exit tip using the "~."
   command. Use "tip tb19200" to access the modem at 19200 bps.

    NOTES:      (1)  S58 sets the type of flow control to be used by the
                     modems serial I/O port.  It is highly recommended that
                     RTS/CTS (hardware) flow control (S58=2) be used whenever
                     possible.  Please consult your systems manuals for
                     instructions on proper software and hardware
                     configurations for RTS/CTS flow control.  Some hardware
                     systems or operating systems may not be capable of this
                     function.

                (2)  S92 governs the sequence of modulation tones issued
                     upon auto answer.  To reverse the answering sequence,
                     set S92=1, this will solve any "slow modem" connection
                     problems caused by the issuance of PEP tones.  ALL
                     incoming PEP modems should have S50=255 set to connect
                     using PEP.

                (3)  If you would like to limit dialin/dialout connection
                     access to high-speed (PEP mode), add "S50=255" to the
                     above script to force the modem to use only the PEP mode.
                     To allow dial OUT to slower speed modems, modify the
                     L.sys script (noted below in step 9) to:

   hostname Any cua0 19200 cua0  ""  ATX0S50=0\r OK ATDNNNNNNNNNN\r  CONNECT  ""
    ""-\r-login:-\r-login:-\r-login: \r login: Uyoursysname ssword: XXXXXXXX

5. ENABLE GETTY FOR DIALIN:

        cd /etc

        --- edit /etc/ttytab and etc:

	name	getty				type	status	comments

        ttya     "/usr/etc/getty std.9600"     dialup     off     secure

        to:

	name	getty				type	status	comments

        ttya     "/usr/etc/getty std.19200"     dialup     on     secure

        --- restart getty on ttya:

        kill -1 1

   The use of a rotary or autobaud in getty is not recommended due to the
   modems ability to lock interface speed (S66=1).  The modem can then
   arbitrate a slow modem connection to the hard-set interface speed without
   the need for interface speed matching.

	(Yup.  You can run a 19.2 getty with XON/XOFF flow control between
	the modem and the serial port; forget using an autobaud getty, it
	causes more problems than its worth -- Larry)

   If a rotary/autobaud getty is used, don't forget to set your getty to
   include 19200 in its cycle.  You may have it trying 19200 first and moving
   to 2400 on the 1st receipt of a break and to 1200 on the second receipt of
   break.  The order of the cycle is not important so long as the calling
   system knows to send breaks until it sees the login sequence.

6. MODIFY /etc/uucp/L-devices:
   Add the following entry to your L-devices file. Fill in the correct port
   number.

       ACUHAYES cua0 cua0 19200
       DIR cua0 0 19200

7. MODIFY /etc/uucp/L.sys:
   Do not copy this literally. Modify the information for your application.
   Also note that this is ONE line of data, not two.

   hostname Any cua0 19200 cua0  ""  ATX0\r OK ATDNNNNNNNNNN\r CONNECT  ""
    ""-\r-login:-\r-login:-\r-login: \r login: Uyoursysname ssword: XXXXXXXX

   NOTES:
   hostname     = THEIR System name
   NNNNNNNNNN   = THEIR System phone number
   Uyoursysname = Your UUCP account on THEIR machine
   XXXXXXXX     = Your UUCP passwd on THEIR machine

   The "chat" script is the most common point of wasted connection time and
   login failure.  Be sure to test this entry rigorously to verify a successful
   login in the fastest time possible.

/*
	NOTE - If calling a PEP modem which sends its PEP tones last (LIKE
	UUNET), you will connect at a lower baud rate if you use an entry
	in the L.sys file like the one given above.  The only workaround
	(confirmed by Telebit when I asked for a better way) is to force
	your modem to connect ONLY in PEP mode to the remote modem.  Your
	L.sys entry would then look like the following:

 hostname Any cua0 19200 cua0 "" ATX0S50=255\r OK  ATDNNNNNNNNNN\r CONNECT  ""
    ""-\r-login:-\r-login:-\r-login: \r login: Uyoursysname ssword: XXXXXXXX

	(this goes on 1 line)

	The modem will be forced to connect only in PEP mode to the remote
	modem, but THIS IS NOT A PERMANANT CHANGE; the modem will return to
	the stored setup value for register S50 after the phone call is
	completed.

	This will specificially work when calling uunet.

						--Larry		*/

8. TEST UUCP:

   NOTE:  SUNOS 4.X is capable of 19200 bps UUCP file transfers.  There is
          no longer any need for modification of "uucico".

   UUCP can now be tested by issuing the following command.

     /usr/lib/uucp/uucico -r1 -x4 -shostname

   Upon success or failure of the UUCP session, the status file must be
   removed before another UUCP session can be started with the above command.

     rm /usr/spool/uucp/STST.hostname

You should now be able to run UUCP between two machines attached to your
modems just as you always have with slower modems.  Enjoy the new world of
of high speed UUCP "g" via the TELEBIT modems.

Larry Beaulieu 				...uunet!gca!beaulieu
SMTS/Software Engineer
GCA Corporation, 			"Live to step, step to live..."
Andover, MA