YAGPL (Yet Another Graphing Package List)

Larry Thorne larryt at ae.msstate.edu
Thu Mar 1 11:50:59 AEST 1990

Many thanks to all that replied to my query a couple of weeks ago about
xy-plotting (or graphing) packages that displayed on Sunview and produced
PostScript output.  As it turns out, a summary of graphing packages is in
Sunspots Digest v9n49.  Sorry for taking up bandwidth asking for old info
- maybe I should read my mail more closely!  Anyhow, the summary of
replies follows.  I can't give an evaluation of all the packages since I
haven't tried them all.

grtool	This was the most mentioned package, and the one we have
	decided to use.  Very impressive (thanks Paul Turner).
	Available anonymous ftp from cse.ogi.edu
GnuTeX	Works with Fig & Transfig.  From duke.cs.duke.edu
SunGraf From eng.clemson.edu
graph+	Located in comp.sources.unix
Superplot	From cs.ubc.ca
sunplot	Info about this from leeisner.henr at xerox.com
vogle
vopl	Vogle is a rather impressive graphics library for use in
	Fortran and C programs, and vopl is the plotting utility
	built with vogle.  Several examples of programming with
	vogle are included.  From munnari.OZ.AU
plotxy	Not sure where to get this, but elmo at spock.adm.clarkson.edu
	has more info.
pgplot	Details from chip!clapp at nosc.mil

The following are commercial packages that were mentioned.

TempleGraph	Ad in SunTechnology - approx. $1290
tek2ps		Tek-to-ps filter from Entropic Speech
S Prog. Lang.	Statistical Sciences, Inc.
DataViews	VI Corp. - $17,000
PicSure Plus	Precision Visuals, Inc.

Again, thanks to all that replied.  If anyone is interested in
reading through the responses, let me know & I'll email you the
info.

Larry Thorne
larryt at ae.msstate.edu