Serial Line Buffer

Tom Doong doong at rtc.reston.unisys.com
Wed Mar 7 02:47:04 AEST 1990

About a week ago I posted a request on how to  increase the serial line
buffer size on a Sun.  I got many requests to pass on the info I learn,
but I got very info on how to do it (actually only 2 suggestions).

The first suggestion, and probably the best (if you have source license),
is to edit zs_asynch.c and change the value, remake your kernel and
reboot.

The second suggestion is to use the /etc/remote file like tip does.  It
turns out that there is a capability called fs (frame size) which tip uses
to buffer between file system writes when receiving files.  You`d probably
need the tip source to see how it does the buffering (I assume that it is
relatively fast) so that you don't take CPU cycles from your application.

I'm still in search of more answers, if you got 'em.

-tom doong