upgrade a 3/260

J. Philip Miller phil at wubios.wustl.edu
Fri Mar 9 12:01:52 AEST 1990

We have a Sun 3/260 which is used for e-mail, news, and SAS & S processing
by users who either telnet from PC's or connecttions via modems or our
university digital async switching system via an ALM-2.  During prime time
there are frequently 8-12 users signed on at a time.

Originally I had planned to upgrade the CPU from the 68k to SPARC about
now, but I am having second thoughts.  Since the cost of the upgrade is
approximately the same as purchasing a SparcStation, I wonder whether that
might make more sense.  I realize that some of my software costs may be
greater, but having multiple machines might really make up for it in
performance.

I would be interested in anyone else's  experience  and/or  opinions
about upgrading the 3/260.

     J. Philip Miller, Professor, Division of Biostatistics, Box 8067
	 Washington University Medical School, St. Louis MO 63110
phil at wubios.WUstl.edu - Internet  (314) 362-3617   phil at wubios.wustl - bitnet
uunet!wuarchive!wubios!phil-UUCP (314) 362-2693(FAX)  C90562JM at WUVMD - bitnet