LONG Summary of Alternatives to PostScript printing without Transcript

Wayne Little rwl at umree.ee.umr.edu
Fri Mar 23 08:21:20 AEST 1990

A long time back I posted a question to the net regarding alternatives to
purchasing Sun's Transcript package (for using postscript printers).  This
summary gives information on both the public domain alternatives &
commercial alternatives.

My apologies for the delay in posting my summary, which is now ready
thanks to a jump start from on of my trusty student assistants (Jim
Dumser) who did the first draft of this summary, before I jumped in, and
to Loki Jorgenson who sent lots of info & answered many questions.  (more
credits at the end)

With the April 1 availability of Adobe Postscript for the HP LaserJet IIPs
& IIIs (according to the trade rags), this should be timely, since the
discounted price of a IIP + memory + PostScript is about what Sun charges
for 1 binary copy of Transcript.

The acknowledgements at the end list the reference number and the sender.
The replies are indexed according to the order they hit my mailbox.

Availability for all public domain software is via anonymous ftp.

Since this "summary" is a bit long, here's an outline with a summary of
the summary first :-).  Most of these are expanded in more detail below.

<<* The Summarized Summary :-) *>>

WHAT DOES TRANSCRIPT DO?

Interfaces with the printer (e.g. handles out of paper msgs) & provides
several filters to postscript (e.g. from ascii, raster, tektronix...).

WHAT DOES TRANSCRIPT HAVE THAT OTHER STUFF MIGHT NOT?

1. enscript - fancy pretty printer
2. coherent integration of all filters (e.g. tek2ps, raster2ps, cat2ps, etc.)

PUBLIC DOMAIN ALTERNATIVES

1. LWkit available from uunet: ~/comp.sources.unix/volume15/lwf.Z
   includes: lwf (ascii-to-PS converter) lwp (spooler, PS device interface)
2. psf -  printcap filter
3. Stuff from the TeX distribution
   includes: applef (PS device interface, opt ascii-to-PS conversion [11])
             dvi2ps (TeX-to-PS converter)
            Availability:
                labrea.standford.edu [36.8.0.47] in subdir pub/tex-split
                (applef included in dvi2ps package) [11]
                Univ of Washington -- $150 for tape with TeX plus fonts [4]
4. A Myriad of filters to go with the above 3
   (* Thanks to Loki Jorgenson for the top 1/2 of this list! *)

   Anonymous FTP sites; there's bound to be some others or redundancies...

dvi2ps		128.174.252.1	a.cs.uiuc.edu
TPS(TeX)	130.188.52.2	hemuli.atk.vtt.fi
hpgl2ps		128.59.64.40	sol.ctr.columbia
ditroff-ps 			ns.uu.net
cif2ps		26.2.0.74	wsmr-simtel20.army.mil
giftops					"
plot2ps					"
tek2ps					"
gif2ps		129.97.129.72	surya.waterloo.edu
sun2ps					"
cif2ps					"
hpgl2ps					"
macps.shar	128.42.1.30	titan.rice.edu (in subdirectory sun-source)
psraster.shar 				"
calcomp2ps.Z				"
cif2ps.Z				"
hpgl-ps.Z				"
ps.draft.Z				"
ps.getafm.Z				"
psprep.tar.Z				"
sun2ps.Z				"
sun_to_ps.Z				"
thack.shar (cat2ps)	131.151.4.1	umree.ee.umr.edu (in subdir pub)

COMMERCIAL ALTERNATIVES

1. Transcript source site license from Adobe for $2950. (800) 344-8335
   contact: Karen Walles.  Same package that sun sells, but only on a 1/2"
   tape.  (2 minor tweaks needed for compilation (details in the long summary
   below)
2. devps from Pipeline Industries $395 (source), $795 (site), (201) 731-7860
3. stuff from Thalatta Price: ?, Contact:[5] John Bossert: bossert at thalatta.com
4. raster-to-ps (RA2PS) free from sun if you have SunPaint or SunDraw [23]
5. multiple RTU licenses from sun from $9700 ND for 10 RTU, to $139,500 for 250

--------------------------<* End of short Summary *>--------------------------
----------------------<* Begin Rambling Detailed Notes *)---------------------

WHAT DOES TRANSCRIPT DO?
------------------------
Basically, Transcript converts text files to postscript code (if
necessary) and manages the interface to a postscript printer.  Postscript
printers, unlike ordinary lineprinters, send back information to the host
concerning such things as job status, number of pages print
specifically.ed, and paper out. some handshaking occurs that is necessary
to avoid losing jobs.  The public domain alternatives address at least
some of the interface issues, and I assume that the commercial programs
listed below handle both parts.

PUBLIC DOMAIN ALTERNATIVES
--------------------------
Basically 3 options were mentioned as far as the printer interface: L.
LWKit includes both a program to communicate with the printer & an
ascii-to-ps filter.  The package installed very easily & according to the
instructions in the README file.

psf does both the ascii-PS conversion and printer interfacing.
Interfacing appeared to be at a bare minimum.  Comments in the code listed
printer responses recognized, with many listed as "not yet implemented."

    Postscript Interface Programs:

        o  LWkit
            Includes: [26]
                lwf (ascii-to-PS converter)
                lwp (spooler, PS device interface)
            Availability:
                math.ufl.edu [18 ref L Jorgenson (27,28)]
                uunet: ~/comp.sources.unix/volume15/lwf.Z [16]
            Notes:
                derived from UBC AppleWriter package: [27]
                    implemented for OS 3.5 and Applewriter NT II
                    adds a library of grep-like routines
                    contact Loki Jorgenson (loki at physics.mcgill.ca) or
                        Rick Sample (sample at cs.ubc.cdn) for assistance
                lwf hacked to handle serial bugs in SunOS 4.0.1 [26]
                mentioned in 16, 18, 26, 27, 28

        o  psf -- ** printcap filter: if=ps ** [10])
            Notes: apparently does bare minimum with printer messages [jmd]

        o  TeX
            Includes: [4]
                applef (PS device interface, opt ascii-to-PS conversion [11])
                dvi2ps (TeX-to-PS converter)
            Availability:
		(applef included in dvi2ps distrib) [11]
		all of TeX (via anonymous ftp)
                labrea.standford.edu [36.8.0.47] in subdir pub/tex-split
		the full UNIX TeX distrib is 21 MB compressed, in 42 files
		(via U.S. mail)
                Univ of Washington -- $150 for tape of TeX with fonts [4]
		send $$ or POs to
			The Director
			Northwest Computer Support Group, DW-10
			University of Washington
			Seattle, Washington 98195
            Notes:
		mentioned in 1, 4, 8, 11, 21. Responders are happy with this
		and a couple have been using for 2 years + with good results.

    Conversion Utilities:

        o  LWkit -- see above

        o  TeX -- see above

        o  thack (cat2ps) -- troff-to-PS converter
            Notes: mentioned in 1, 8, 10, 26
		I tested the version from sun.sources.misc vol 7 issue 7,
		& it core dumps on a 3/60 with 4.0.3, and has a bug on
		sparcstation1s with 4.0.3c, that places the output
		a half inch too high, losing a 1/2 line.
		Paul Eggert sent me a version with fixes to both of the above,
		which I've made available on umree.ee.umr.edu in pub/thack.shar
		In the USA, be sure to define USPAGELENGTH in the Makefile!
		(This was the 1/2 inch bug, due to dif. size paper in Europe.)

        o  pbmplus -- portable bitmap conversion utilities