Rsh Problem

Isidore G Bendrihem igb at cunixa.cc.columbia.edu
Fri Mar 9 22:50:44 AEST 1990

In article <5582 at brazos.Rice.edu> you write:
>I have a 3/80 running 4.0.3. If I do an rsh to it from another machine (or
>even from itself), I get: stty: Operation not supported on socket then the
>command is correctly executed.

You probably have the line

biff y

in your .cshrc.  This line should be in your .login only so that it
doesn't interfere with rsh.  By the way, biff is a little program that
tells you when new mail has arrived.  If you don't have biff in your
.cshrc (or .profile or .kshrc, depending on the shell you're using) check
for other programs that check your terminal type (like stty).  If you find
any, move them to .login (where they truly belong).

Isidore