Alternate boot consoles

apex!larrys at uwm.edu apex!larrys at uwm.edu
Wed Mar 21 01:29:47 AEST 1990

The CPU is probably too dumb to know what you intend when making 1F equal
to 0x10.  Try leaving the keyboard unplugged and see what happens.  Of
course, when you want to use the console as a login port, you have to plug
in the keyboard, but when the screen says Abort at such-and-such > just
type c return to restart the computer where you left off.  Of course, when
you leave the keyboard unplugged and ttytab says "on secure" for the
console entry, the whole computer will die the death, so you have to turn
off the console.  Or else, you can boot singleuser, plug in the keyboard,
type c, type exit or control d on the terminal for multiuser startup,
because when you boot singleuser, the ttytab file is not consulted.  By
now you are saying "isn't there some- thing reasonable I can do?".  Maybe
so, but all I know is these emergency measures.  Maybe I should have been
a shyster lawyer.

Larry Apex