Can a filing system overflow?

moncam!loki at relay.eu.net moncam!loki at relay.eu.net
Wed Mar 7 00:36:33 AEST 1990

We are running a WREN-IV as a second disk on a SUN 4/110, and recenty some
rather alarming things have been happening, things I have always assumed
to be impossible on a clean filing system.  We have our news on this WREN,
and it has recently been filling up (oh what a surprise!!!).  Fine, I can
accept that.  HOWEVER, I noticed that the first 1k or so bytes of the
history file (the offending file, I assume), were found in one or two
files randomly scattered around about the filing system.  Like a fool I
did not check the inode numbers, but instead took the system down and
fsck'd everything in sight - no errors.

This problem does not seem to happen unless the disk fills up.

Has anyone ever witnessed such a thing?  Is it a bug in nfs? WREN's?
Would your advise be `back everything up NOW, and get a new disk'?

Any help much appreciated.

   Harry Fearnhamm, ,---.'\   EMAIL: loki at moncam.uucp
    Monotype ADG,  (, /@ )/          ...!ukc!acorn!moncam!loki
    Science Park,    /( _/ ') VOICE: +44 (0)223 420018
     Cambridge,      \,`---'    FAX: +44 (0)223 420911
      CB4 4FQ,           DISCLAIMER: Nothing is True.
      ENGLAND.                       Everything is Permitted.