Problems with 'automount' and 'getwd'!

rgm at thorin.hw.stratus.com rgm at thorin.hw.stratus.com
Thu Mar 22 00:02:26 AEST 1990

We are having problems with the automount program.  We are running SunOS
4.0.3 and the problem shows up something like this:

    thorin% pwd
    pwd: getwd: can't open ..

and:

    thorin% df .
    Filesystem            kbytes    used   avail capacity  Mounted on
    Could not find mount point for .

but you can still work in the directory and list it etc.

What seems to happen is that when someone goes into a auto-mounted
directory and works there for a while this just seems to happen after a
while.  The way to recover from it is you can just change directories back
to where you were and continue working, but this is kind of a pain, and is
causing some of our applications to break.

I have not been able to reproduce this on a steady basis which makes it
real hard to trouble shoot.  I have seen this happen on 3/80's, 4/60's,
4/280's.

Has anyone else seen this problem?  Does anyone know if there is a fix for
something like this?

             Richard Meitzler, Stratus Computer, Marlboro, MA
    rgm at thorin.hw.stratus.com  -or-     Richard_Meitzler at es.stratus.com
          uunet!lectroid.sw.stratus.com!thorin.hw.stratus.com!rgm