Sun 2/170 memory expansion

Nick Sayer ames!quack!mrapple at pasteur.Berkeley.EDU
Sat Mar 17 04:44:34 AEST 1990

It's me again, the 2/170 lives on...

Anyway, my system has 4 1MB RAM cards installed, and in this
configuration, it works acceptably well. A few days ago, I got a 4 MB RAM
card with 3 MB installed (1 MB missing).  If I stick the card in the first
slot the system runs with 7 MB for a little bit, then coughs up a parity
error. This occurs regardless of where (in logical counting) the board
sits.

According to Sun technical support my system is a "non-prime," or old
version, and that it was unlikely I would be able to get the card to work.

It seems unlikely to me that the card cage is to blame, but if it is,
there's probably nothing I can do to fix it. That leaves the CPU board.
Would obtaining a new CPU board fix the problem? Is it worth it?

If it's not the CPU card, what else could it be? I have an ie0 ethernet
board, a tm0 tape board, xy0 disk board and an mti0 terminal board.  The
ethernet board is not hooked up to a transceiver.

While I'm at it, here's a dumb question: If I get a 68020 multibus
CPU card can I run 60820 SunOS? (probably not, right?)

Nick Sayer  -  The Goose Egg public unix  -  209-952-5347 (Telebit)