recommendations for multi-cpu dtp.

Eric M. Carroll eric at ists.ists.ca
Tue Mar 13 07:37:36 AEST 1990

ISTS is looking at buying some hardware and software for inhouse
production of our newsletter, WAVES. WAVES has a mailing list of some
5,000 people throughout the Canadian government and international space
science community.

ISTS has a significant Sun investment, and if possible would like to
purchase software that would be compatible with a Sun network. We would
also like to share the software we purchase with many groups within ISTS.
Thus some approach like X windows seems best for sharing the software
resource.

Currently, our communications manager uses PageMaker on a PC as the prime
page layout program. This, of course, is a closed resource that cannot be
shared within the Institute. Her list of current sofware for production
use includes PageMaker, Windows, Microsoft Chart, Corel Draw, Arts and
Letters Editor, Arts and Letters Space Clip Art and Presentation Pak. She
also has a PC facility at home to utilize these tools.

My question to the net is thus: Can anyone suggest a set of packages that
would allow her home use (say via dialup, SL/IP, a SL/IP X windows
terminal, dialup PC X windows, whatever) plus provide a similar level of
functionality as provided in the package list above, and make it usable
across a Unix or X windows network? Programs that interoperate with
PageMaker in a robust way would be acceptible.  Colour postscript would be
a desired, but not necessary, feature.  If you have a list for X windows
or SunView internal network use only, that would still be of great
interest.

Currently, we have looked at Publisher, Frame and Interleaf. We have
started thinking to ourselves about Artisan. I just heard in
comp.text.desktop about QuarkXpress, but don't know anything about it.  Is
the Sun marketplace mature enough to support this kind of production work
yet?

Please reply to me. I will summarize any lists sent to me. Thanks.