Help needed with sendmail.cf hacking (using DNS w/o YP)

Wayne Little rwl at umree.ee.umr.edu
Thu Mar 29 04:38:52 AEST 1990

After many hours of hacking on sendmail.cf, I'm ready to ask for help.

WE HAVE:

o the DNS (Domain Name Service) libraries from uunet.uu.net/sun-fixes
  installed & working fine for telnet, ftp & etc. (with YP disabled).
o defined a CNAME alias in the name server data base for each dept.'s main
  mail machine. (e.g. mailhost at ee.umr.edu has a CNAME of ee.umr.edu).
  Aliasing/forwarding to other dept. machines is done from the main
  dept.machine).  This works fine w/our kludge...
o the below described scheme working with a terrible kludge requiring
  external files & our own ugly rewriting rules, running on various
  machines.

(* we want to get out from under this & use - the following *)

WE WANT:

o domain based mail
  + all users @ all machines mail addrs like user at dept.umr.edu
  + i.e. machine independent (no machine name in address.
  + without YP
o to use a version of sendmail supporting MX records
  + either the 1 available from uunet or the latest BSD 1 would be ok
o to do it on a sun 3 or sparcstation-1 with 4.0.3(c)
o an elegant haque of sendmail.cf rather than our kludge

(* IF you have a similar setup: i.e. NO YP, DNS libs from uunet & a
machine independent domain based mailing setup,... *)

CAN YOU SEND ME

o example sendmail.cf files, one for the main dept. mailer & subsidiary
  ones for other dept. machines. (or as appropriate)
o documentation of mods (what you did & why) to the sendmail.cf file
o any pointers to doc. on sendmail.cf (other than sun ref manuals)
o your favorate dengigration/quote/description RE: the ugliness of
  sendmail.cf :-) <* you dont' have to qualify above to send this :-) *>

I WILL PROVIDE A SUMMARY, & make a package with example files available
via anonymous ftp.

Thanks in advance,
Wayne Little      Internet: rwl at ee.umr.edu      Phone: (314) 341-4546