DNS & YP...

Glenn Mackintosh glenn at csri.toronto.edu
Sat Mar 24 05:28:48 AEST 1990

sgf at cfm.brown.edu (Sam Fulcomer) writes:

>One of the problems, ahh... projects I'm working on now is ripping the
>guts out of the YP code to make it work properly. Not only is it one of
>the ugliest lumbering warthog pieces of code I've ever seen, it's a
>heinous security hole in any domain that runs ypserv o.

Some time ago, I wrote replacement YP routines for our sun environment
here because SUN's was so slow. I have implemented all of the library
routines (yp_match, etc.). It does not use YP server client arrangement
that SUN's YP does, they assume that the database files are in a publicly
accessible place (either nfs mounted, track'ed, rdist'ed or some other
method). It uses ndbm for some of the database accessing but for
yp_first/next it opens the files and walks through them sequentially, this
speeds some things up by about an order of magnitude (finger comes down
from 15-20 seconds to about 2 seconds).  There is a README file that
explains the setup.

I don't really want to make this generally available yet since it has only
been tried on one other site so far. They have had no problems with it so
I guess it's time to look for a few beta test sites.  It has been tested
fairly thoroughly here. So if a handfull of you out there are interested
let me know and I can send you a shar of the code.

I did not rewrite the header files or man pages since they are the same as
Sun's so you will need to have them.

                    Glenn Mackintosh
                    Univ. of Toronto

CSNET/ARPA:   glenn at eecg.{toronto.edu,utoronto.ca}
CDNNET:       glenn at eecg.toronto.cdn
BITNET:       glenn at eecg.utoronto.bitnet (may not work from all sites)
UUCP:         uunet!utai!eecg!glenn