Installing 4.0.3

John DiMarco jdd at db.toronto.edu
Tue Mar 13 06:11:49 AEST 1990

In list.sun-spots you write:

> We have two SUN machines and the configuration is as follows
>
>1) SUN 4/260C
>2) SUN 4/110
>
>All these days, we were running OS 3.5. Now we have bought 4.0.3 and I am
>asked to upgrade and install the new OS on these machines.

You're running 3.5 on sun 4's? I thought the latest pre-4.0 OS running on
Sparcs was 3.2.

As for the upgrade: Read Sun's instructions carefully. Make sure you
understand Sun's rearrangement of the filesystem.

You'll find that 4.0's fsck will act strangely the first time it sees a
3.5 filesystem, giving lots of "... length is xx bytes; setting to 512"
messages. Don't worry about this; nothing is wrong with your filesystem.

Keep a copy of 3.5's suntools around, if you can. Suntools under 4.0 is
bigger and slower, and a bit different.

John DiMarco                   jdd at db.toronto.edu or jdd at db.utoronto.ca
University of Toronto, CSRI    BITNET: jdd%db.toronto.edu at relay.cs.net
(416) 978-8609                 UUCP: {uunet!utai,decvax!utcsri}!db!jdd