a.out =?= executable

henry at zoo.toronto.edu henry at zoo.toronto.edu
Tue Mar 20 09:02:40 AEST 1990

> according to the as(1) man page, the default output is "a.out."
> traditionally, as(1) produces a ".o"...
> can someone please explain how and why as(1) has changed?

It hasn't.  as(1) has produced "a.out" by default since at least Fifth
Edition, circa 1975, and probably from the beginning.  "as foo.s" gives
"a.out", and always has.  "cc foo.s", on the other hand, ends up invoking
the assembler in such a way as to put the output into "foo.o".  I suspect
you are confusing the two.

> for bonus
> points, what is the history behind calling an executable "a.out," even
> though ld(1) is what has traditionally produced a.out.

"a.out" is, I think, "assembler output" shortened.  ld(1) came later.

                                    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                                uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu