VMS X Server / Sun X Client?

Rob Gabbard sdrc!evgabb at uunet.uu.net
Thu Mar 15 05:24:56 AEST 1990

In article <5743 at brazos.Rice.edu>, henryc at mcs213k.cs.umr.edu (Henry Clark) writes:
>         A: microvax running VMS
>         B: microvax running Ultrix
>         C: sun 4/110
>
> I have some users which want to run a X application on (A) and display the
> output on (C).  The problem is that (A) does DecNet and (C) does TCP/IP.

Yeah, this is a neat feature that DEC probably forgets to tell people - X
under VMS can only talk DECnet so it can only talk to other VMS machines.
I have also heard that Ultrix machines can be booted with their X servers
talking either DECnet or TCP/IP and that they can talk to VMS machines (or
their X servers can) if booted to DECnet. But, I think this is an either
or situation - if their X server is talking to DECnet it can no longer
talk to TCP/IP folks.  I've also heard that TCP/IP will be bundled into
the next release of VMS and that DECWindows/X 2.0 will talk to either
simultaneously. Actually, I highly doubt it will be bundled into VMS, I'm
sure DEC will charhe a bundle for it.

This info has been picked up from various trade rags, and my opinions of
DEC unfortunately do not reflect those of my company.

Rob Gabbard (uunet!sdrc!evgabb)
Technical Development Engineer
Structural Dynamics Research Corp.