SUN-ULTRIX NFS problem (SOL

Alan Butcher ab at cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu
Sat Mar 24 04:48:37 AEST 1990

> PROBLEM 1)
> I am able to mount files systems on the Ultrix machine from the Sun
> machine at boot time from the standard rc.local file with no error, but
> any attempt to access the files systems results in the following error
>
> NFS geattr failed for server a: RPC: Authentication error
> PROBLEM 2)
> If I attempt to mount the file system after boot is complete I get the
> following error
>
> mount a:/usr00 server not responding: RPC: Authentication error; why = Invalid client credential
> mount: giving up on:
>     /mnt

Thanks to all of you for your responses offering solutions to the problem.

The cause of the problem was that there is a limit of 8 (eight) groups
under the Ultrix 3.0 system and reducing the number of groups to less
than 8 solved the problem.

This solved both problems 1 & 2. An old groups file that needed badly to
be cleaned up.

Alan Butcher
ab at cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu