User process network lantency

Ann Tai tai at cs.ucla.edu
Sat May 5 09:05:39 AEST 1990

We are implementing a two-node SPARCstation system which requires the
message transmission latency to be minimum.  We implemented the software
for inter-machine communication using stream socket and datagram socket.
Our experience is that the latency for sending a message between two SUN
SPARCstation 1 (connected by 10 megabits/sec ethernet) is greater than 150
milliseconds using datagram and is worse using scream socket.  Literatures
showed that user process network latency, defined as the minimum time
required to send a single byte of data, can be below 5 milliseconds. If
you know the right way for us to measure the latency and how to achieve
the best response time (latency), please give us your suggestion.  Thank
you in advance.