SPARCServer-1 performance

Jeffrey C Honig jch at risci.tn.cornell.edu
Thu May 31 17:04:40 AEST 1990

Does anyone have a feel for the performance of the SPARCServer-1 in
relation to Sun's older fileservers, namely a Sun 3/260?  We have a Sun
3/260S with 16MBytes and a SMD-4 controller and two 2351 Eagles.  The
client load is three 4MByte diskless 3/50's running X windows, a dataless
SS1+ and a few other hosts mounting file systems.

Because of the poor performance of the 3/50s I was planning to turn them
into X terminals with the work being done by the server (as soon as
FrameMaker 2.1X is available).

Is a SPARCServer-1 a reasonable replacement for a 3/260?  If not, where is
the bottleneck?  Ethernet throughput, SCSI throughput, disk throughput?

Thanks.
Jeff