PROM Revision

Brian J. Hafner hafner at ordin.cs.wisc.edu
Tue May 29 11:42:18 AEST 1990

In article <8215 at brazos.Rice.edu> patel at cvlsun1.ece.drexel.edu (Patel Maqbool 387-1784) writes:

>We just got our SunOS 4.1 release. The release manual says that the prom
>revison on the Sun 4/260 and the Sun 4/110 has to be at least 2.x. However
>we have rev 1.3 on our Sun 4/260 and 1.8 on our Sun 4/110. Can we still
>load 4.1? If not, why?

I recently upgraded a 4/110 to SunOS 4.1.  The machine had boot PROM rev
1.8.  Although the manuals indicated that boot PROM 2.8 was required, I
had NO troubles booting the tape with the older PROM.  I also called SUN,
and the engineer I talked to was surprised that I was able to boot off of
the 4.1 release tape.  Later, I ordered the boot PROM rev 3.0 upgrade.

Brian J. Hafner
Computer Sciences Department
University of Wisconsin - Madison
hafner at cs.wisc.edu