SPARCstation to VAX Worries

swanger at ducvax.auburn.edu swanger at ducvax.auburn.edu
Sat May 26 05:32:01 AEST 1990

I work in a User Services Department.  We are going to support the Sun
SPARCstation.  I am probably going to get a SPARCstation SLC soon.  I also
support a VMS-based VAX 6320.  I use the VAX a lot every day.  I have
noticed that the SUN keyboard does not have separate cursor keys, but
instead the cursor keys are part of the keyboard.  Maybe I am
overreacting, but this seems incredibly wrong to me.  I used a friend's
Sun to log into the VAX using both TELNET and a public domain VT220
emulator.  Both had problems.  When I went into the editor, either the
keypad worked or the cursor keys worked, but not both.  I tried pressing
various keys to get the cursor keys to work when the keypad was in effect,
but I had no luck.  I will confess that my friend does not have the
documentation for either, so there might easy solutions for both problems.

Does anyone out there use a SUN and a VAX regularly?  Am I worrying to
much about this keyboard/terminal emulation thing?  Please respond
directly to me, as I am not always able to get to this list.

Thanks for the help!

David Swanger
Auburn University

SWANGER at DUCVAX.AUBURN.EDU  <-- INTERNET
SWANGER at AUDUCVAX           <-- BITNET