Stream sockets and killing processes

Raymond van der Laan media01!rla at relay.eu.net
Thu May 31 19:28:49 AEST 1990

I have a problem using sockets.

I let two processes (A and B) communicate with each other through a
stream-socket. Then I kill process (A). The remaining process, B, sends
data to the socket, which causes no errors. Receiving from the socket
results in an error 54 (ECONNRESET).

Now the strange thing. After the write (no errors), the read (error 54), I
do a second write. This causes process B to stop!  It reaches the write
call, but it does not return from it.  The process just terminates. I am
sure process A is killed before B does a first write().

Is this normal??

Any reply would be greatly appreciated.

Raymond vand er Laan
Mediasystemen BV