Getting a Sparc to shut up

Andrew Lindh lindh at uhasun.hartford.edu
Mon May 7 00:57:03 AEST 1990

In article <7417 at brazos.Rice.edu>, gggould at rodan.acs.syr.edu writes:
> I'm sick of people trying to rlogin into a Sparc I'm working on, and
> catting arthur.au to /dev/audio. How do I get my Sparc to stay quiet while
> I'm working on it?

We have the same problem. There is also the same problem with /dev/fb so
people can load screens at any time. To fix this problem you must make the
device owned by the person currently on the console and owner read/write
only! This will fix the problem......but that causes other problems. You
need a root SUID program to do that and each peroson that logs on must run
it. Also, if a SUID program tries to run using the newly changed device
then it will not be able to access the device, becaus the permissions are
wrong.  Also the su command will not be able to access the device.

Like I said we tried it here......it worked but it became a REAL pain. So
we took it off, and returned the system to normal.  Most of the people
forgot about the trick and we have not had that problem again.

Andrew Lindh, a student at the University of Hartford -- Computer Science
BITNET:    LINDH at HARTFORD.bitnet       INTERNET: lindh at uhasun.uofh.edu
UUCP/Usenet: lindh at evecs.uucp	---- When will I grduate???
NOTE: All views here are MINE!!! Not the schools or thoes of anyone else!