3.5" drive recommendations

Paul A. Sustman pas at thud.cray.com
Tue May 8 03:43:31 AEST 1990

>>> Maxtor's 200Mbyte/15msec. devices?
>>
>> I haven't tried them, but I think you will find the MTBF is only 30,000
>> hrs which is ~ 3 years, not enough for a machine that will be left on.  I
>> have 2 dead Maxtors, the first went after 2.5 years and the second 1.5
>> years.  Not reccomended.  I think HP do 3.5 inch scsi 's . MTBF 150,000
>> hrs. With a 5 year warranty.
>
> Current Maxtor 200 Mbyte drives are rated 50,000 hours MTBF.  They are
> readily availble and priced right for 3 1/2" drives.  I recommend them

I've been very pleased with the Maxtor 200 Meg scsi drives (so far).  They
are a relatively fast and quiet 3.5 inch drive at a very reasonable price.
I haven't had any problems for the seven months I've had several of them
installed in SPARCs under 4.03 and (now) 4.1.

Also, I've been told the Maxtors come standard with a 2-year factory
warranty.  We just purchased another 500 for SPARCstations.  I also highly
recommend them.

Paul Sustman pas at thud.cray.com