Maxtor 200meg 3.5" SCSI drives ?

-b2wild- b2wild at ucscb.ucsc.edu
Mon May 7 08:47:02 AEST 1990

I just bought one of the Maxtor LXT-200S SCSI drives (200megs, 15ms for
only $800 seems like a deal to me).  It works fine on my IBM clone (with
the SCSI adaptor), but chokes & dies when I tried to format it on a Sun
3/110.

I moved my HP97548S SCSI drive from the IBM to the Sun with just the
removal of a jumper (parity, I think), and it formatted & built up just
fine (with SunOS 4.0.3).

I attempted the same steps with the Maxtor (removing the only jumper that
is not used for a SCSI address or spin-up).  It formatted fine, but when I
went to copy the OS onto it, I came up with many scsi bus busy errors, and
other errors.

Has anyone used these drives on Suns successfully?