Sparcstation SLC (Sun 4/20)

Mark Purtill purtill at bourbaki.mit.edu
Tue May 29 06:02:03 AEST 1990

I have a bunch of questions about the Sparcstation SLC.  If anyone out
there can answer them or point me towards answers, I'd appreciate it.
Reply by email, I'll summarize to the net.

1. Can the SLC be used as a standalone machine or does it need something
else as a disk server?  (If the answer to this is that it can't stand
alone, the remaining questions are moot).  I realize it comes diskless,
but I'm assuming that disks can be added to the SCSI port.

2. Will Sun sell one to an ordinary mortal?  If not, are there Sun dealers
out there who would?

3. Does it come with SunOS?  If so, how is it supplied?  How are new
versions of the updgrade handled?  If there's anyone out there who uses a
stand-alone Sun of any type, do you get useful support from Sun, or do
they only care about large-network customers?

4. Someone mentioned a CD-ROM drive available, along with a CD-ROM
containing SunOS.  Can this be mounted as a file system, and if so would
that save disk space?

5. What's available in the way of cheap backup devices, e.g., tape drives
or even floppies?

6. How much do the SIMMs that it takes go for?  I gather these are 4
megabytes with parity.

Mark Purtill
^.-.^ purtill at math.mit.edu (if that fails, try: purtill at athena.mit.edu)
((")) \@_: Dept. of Math., MIT 2-229, Cambridge, MA 02139; (617)623-6238