SUN4 - Keyboard

news at lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.de news at lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.de
Tue May 8 18:59:30 AEST 1990

As I walked yesterday through my local electronic shop, I saw a SUN
Keyboard ( Type 4) at a price, where I can't say no. I got it right now,
but there is a little problem with it: I don't want to use it for a SUN, I
want to use it for a normal 386 AT box (no, I'm not using DOS --
Interactive's 386/ix is much better!!).

Scan-code converting is quite simple. But where can I get information
about other features of that kind of Keyboard? I allready read the
include-files from sun, but they are not so informative. Here is a list of
what I want to know:

1) There are some dip-switches on the left side at the bottom. What are
   they good for ?

2) The keycodes seem to be transmitted serial (syncronous) at 1200baud.
   But what format is used? Can I tell the keyboard to use 1200baud, 1
   startbit, 8 databits, 1 paritybit & 1 stopbit ?

3) There are some LED's on the right side. How can they be turned on or
   off ?

4) Inside the keyboard is a litte speaker. What are the commands to use it
   (not only as simple bell!) ?

5) Can someone please send me a command summary of the keyboard ?  (If
   there is one in the documentation for a SS1, please tell me where)

6) Perhaps someone has allready connected a SUN keyboard to a 386AT
   (*smile*)???