Sun3 SCSI drives

Timothy H Panton. westhawk!thp at relay.eu.net
Sun May 27 22:35:43 AEST 1990

al at escom.com (Al Donaldson) writes:
> And I'm not sure I see any
> real advantage to buying a 5 year warranty (HP, Fuji) if storage prices
> keep dropping.

I depends on how dependant you are on the machine/drive, I raised the
150,000 MTBF / 5year warranty issue after the _only_ drive on my _only_
Sun failed after 1.5 years (MTBF 30,000 hrs). I was without the machine
for a week and spent the best part of 2 days restoring the backups onto
its replacement,  quite a few billable hours lost.

The thing to do is to guess how long you expect to keep the drive and get
one with a MTBF that is at least that long (twice to be safe.)

Tim Panton, Westhawk Ltd.
uucp : ..!mcvax!ukc!westhawk!thp