SCSI problems on a Sun-2 with Fuji M2612SA

Scott I. Logan logan at torag.uucp
Wed May 9 05:50:17 AEST 1990

I'm having problems with a Fujitsu M2612SA SCSI drive on my Sun-2/50
(SunOS 2.0).  It is connected to both the drive controller board (Adaptec)
and a shoebox containing another disk and a tape drive.

I had to modify some of the jumpers to get it to work, here are the
current settings (per the M2612SA manual):

1) SCSI Bus Parity: Not Execute (drive won't respond the other way)
2) Permission Synchronous transfer mode: Execute
3) SCSI target is set to '1'
4) the rest are standard

When I boot 'diag', I can select the drive (target 1, unit 0). I enter
SCSI format, type 'format', and I get a 'Mode Select Failed' message (with
some other information). Then it goes ahead an spends a couple of minutes
formatting the drive anyway.

I then exit format, define a partition for the disk, and 'label' it, with
no problems. I can even 'verify' the label afterward, and everything looks
fine.  But, if I enter the 'clear' command, or re-enter 'diag', it gives
me a 'Bad Format on Volume' message.

I have the following line in my kernel config file:
	disk   sd1 at sc0 drive 010 flags 0

During boot, it seems to notice that there is a disk at target 1, unit 0,
but I don't see a disk label like I do for sd0.  A 'mkfs' or 'newfs'
command responds with 'device not online'.

What's up here? Is this a SunOS 2.0 bug (I hope)?  I'm waiting for my 3.5
upgrade from Sun, will the problem go away when I get it?  Am I doing
something else wrong?

Thanks in advance...

Scott Logan
Unix System Support                                    logan%torag at geac.com
Torag Communication Systems, Toronto, Ontario           ...!geac!torag!logan