DNS and YP

Andrew Lindh lindh at uhasun.hartford.edu
Thu May 31 04:13:57 AEST 1990

In article <8224 at brazos.Rice.edu>, terry at eesun1.eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) writes:
> People seem to have problems getting YP and the DNS to cooperate and as I
> was looking over some old Sun-Spots articles, I had an idea.......

Here is how you get ALL suns running YP to get names from BOTH the YP
files and the DNS host. And you do not need the SunOS Source!

You first need to set up a host with DNS. This host does not have to be a
Sun and it does not have to be the YP master.

step 1:	Set up DNS correctly on some machine
step 2:	Set up ALL suns as DNS users.
	edit the file /etc/resolv.conf
	to contain the correct lines. Example:
	(note domain is not the same as YP domainname
	 192.52.156.100 is our main DNS on campus
	 it is a VAXstation 3100 with ultrix)
-----
domain		hartford.edu
nameserver	192.52.156.100
nameserver	192.35.82.2
nameserver	192.33.4.12
-----
step 3: edit the file /var/yp/Makefile of you YP master
	(not the YP slaves or clients)
	find the section where is does a makedbm on the
	host files (line 59? starts with "hosts.time")
	add "-b" after both "($MAKEDBM)" statements
	and before the "-". This IS documented the man page
step 4: reboot

This tells the system to use YP and then check DNS. But there is a problem
with this.....on some 4.0.3 (4.1??) systems it will forget to check DNS
sometimes, you then need to reboot the systems

You will need to check the manuals to correctly set up DNS. You can use
the /usr/etc/nslookup program to check the DNS setup.

Good Luck.....and yes it works here, including PC-NFS!!

Andrew Lindh, a student at the University of Hartford -- Computer Science
BITNET:    LINDH at HARTFORD.bitnet       INTERNET: lindh at uhasun.uofh.edu
UUCP/Usenet: lindh at evecs.uucp	---- When will I grduate???
NOTE: All views here are MINE!!! Not the schools or thoes of anyone else!