SPARC Station SLC

Eugene Eberbach aucs!eberbach at uunet.uu.net
Fri Sep 21 10:11:23 AEST 1990

I have SPARC station SLC with 8 MB RAM, 327 MB SCSI hard disk, and 150 MB
tape catridge, running under UNIX  SunOS 4.1. I would like to have a
stand-alone configuration with laser printer (the only printer that Sun
officially supports is the Sun LaserWriter), LaTeX, psroff, FrameMaker,
connected via modem (Sun supports modems that are compatible with Hayes
modems, such as the Hayes Smartmodem 2400TM)to Sun-4 file server and other
Ethernet stations.  I use actually very bad psroff without macros mm, pic,
previewer; and LaTeX (better than psroff, although also from public
domain). Unfortunately, dvipage previewer from LaTeX, which worked on Sun3
and Sun4, does not work on SPARC Station SLC (bus error -
incompatibilities of SPARCstation SLC and Sun4?). Therefore I would like
to have a new, working and relatively complete LaTeX and psroff for SPARC
SLC.

I look for the prices and the addresses of organizations where I can buy
for reasonable prices:

1. modem
2. non-expensive laser printer to print PostScript files
3. LaTeX with previewer
4. psroff with macros mm, preprocessors pic, tbl,eqn and having a previewer
   for SPARC SLC
5. FrameMaker

Any suggestions and information would be welcome

Thanks,

Eugene Eberbach
School of Computer Science
Acadia University, Canada