Format won't map scsi defects

Ken Mandelberg km at mathcs.emory.edu
Fri Sep 21 09:58:51 AEST 1990

We have an old sun3 Sun shoebox retrofitted with a Maxtor 2190 drive. The
Maxtor is an ST506 drive, running as scsi through the Sun Adaptec
converter in the shoebox.

This drive has run well in the shoebox for years, but recently has
developed a few bad blocks. I've tried to use format to put the bad blocks
in the defect table and reformat. "add" is happy to take the blocks, and
"format" doesn't complain, but the verify still shows the same errors.
I've tried many variations of the "add", adding by logical block #, or by
cylinder/head/bit. No variation makes any difference, and the verify still
fails.

Has anyone else seen this? I'm running SunOS 4.1 format.

Ken Mandelberg      | km at mathcs.emory.edu          PREFERRED
Emory University    | {rutgers,gatech}!emory!km    UUCP
Dept of Math and CS | km at emory.bitnet              NON-DOMAIN BITNET
Atlanta, GA 30322   | Phone: (404) 727-7963