Remote cmdtools under OpenWindows?

Douglas N. Arnold dna at math.psu.edu
Tue Sep 11 07:33:55 AEST 1990

I have recently started using OpenWindows 2.0, and am having various
troubles.  I would like to open cmdtools running on various hosts from the
root menu, but have been having trouble doing so.  Here is a stripped down
set-up that shows the problem.  I start up OpenWindows on fredholm and
give the commands "xhost +green" and "rsh green ~/testscript" where
testscript reads:

  #!/bin/sh
  OPENWINHOME=/usr/local/lib/openwin
  export OPENWINHOME
  LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$OPENWINHOME/lib
  export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
  $OPENWINHOME/bin/xview/cmdtool -display fredholm:0.0

This causes a cmdtool to appear on fredholm, but no shell prompt appears
in it.  And on fredholm I get the message "ttysw-TIOCSPGRP: Interrupted
system call".

On the other hand if I rlogin to green and run ~/testscript it works fine
(a cmdtool window running csh pops up on fredholm).  Can anyone explain
this or point me to the appropriate documentation?

Douglas N. Arnold                         dna at math.psu.edu
Dept. of Mathematics, Penn State Univ.    (814) 865-0246