Need a microphone program

Kurt Gluck kurt at redsox.base.bellcore.com
Mon Sep 17 02:14:37 AEST 1990

I need a program that records from the microphone port without all of the
sunview stuff.

What I really want is a pair of programs:

	microphone [-v###] >file
		which would read from the microphone and write to stdout.
		It perhaps should have an optional -v option to set the
		gain.

	speaker [-v###] [-e] <file
		which would read from stdin and write to the speaker.
		the -e option would say use the external speaker.
		the -v arg would set the volume.

In anycase, I may have to dissect sound.c to build these, but If someone
else has written them, why reinvent (redissect :-) ) the wheel.

While I am ordering imaginary software, how about:
	xscope <file >file
	which would display the sound as a scope as in sound.c
	but under X.

so:
	microphone |xscope |speaker

	could replace sound....