Advice on PC-NFS, lifeline, WordPerfect, and Interleaf

Greg Oliveau oliveau at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Sep 19 10:13:39 AEST 1990

Apologies to my LA friends for the cross post, but I'm trying to cover my
bases.  Anyway, I'm purchasing some Sun equipment and need some input and
advice.  Is PC-NFS worth it at $750?  What sort of benefits - REAL
BENEFITS - do I get from it?  Has anyone done anything really interesting
with it?  How about Lifeline, a PC-NFS add-on that provides for E-mail and
remote backups?  Any experience with either of these products?

I also require a word processor, like you might find on a PC.  Many of us
use WordPerfect on our PC's, so it would be nice to use the same on a Unix
workstation.  But WP only has through version 4.2 on the Suns!  There are
no graphics or anything.  On the other hand, Interleaf has an introductory
package for about $800 per station.  Has anyone had experience w/
Interleaf?  Is it a good (great?) technical publication package?  I do
know that Interleaf is WYSIWYG, while WP is just like on the PC - standard
characters (without a page previewer in v4.2!).  Any thoughts or comments
would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

Greg.