Sun & laserprinters

Michael A. Thomas - Honeyw honeywel%hydra.unm.edu at ariel.unm.edu
Fri Sep 21 09:59:20 AEST 1990

I'm with Honeywell's IACD division, we provide some third party service to
Sun users.  One problem I keep encountering with our newest installations,
is that of hanging a "foreign" laser printer on the workstation.  Sun tech
support usually infuriates the user and then they turn to me for
assistance.  I'm sure this is a common question and has already been
summarized somewhere.

The usual questions are:

1.  How do I make it talk to the serial port?
2.  Do I have to buy Sun's laserwriter software?
3.  Is there public domain or shareware software for laser printers?
4.  I have a postscript printer, what do I have to do to make it work on
    the Sun?
5.  I have an XXX brand of laser printer, will this work on my Sun?

I would like to be able to provide the answer to these questions for my
customers.  In the past, I've called the manufacturer of the printer and
had their support people contact the customer, but this has not always
worked as well as I had hoped.  Is there a summary somewhere of these
types of questions?

   Thanks,
   Mike Thomas