ALM-2 ports hanging

Grant Collins grant at saturn.cs.swin.oz.au
Thu Sep 13 04:06:58 AEST 1990

I have a number of Wyse 185 terminals (in vt100 mode) on an ALM-2 hanging
off a Sun 4/260 (SunOS 4.0.3) which hang when a certain program is run.
They still remain hung after killing the process and killing the csh
(which will only die with a -9 and leave itself in an <exiting> state).
Turning terminals on/off and restarting gettys,etc doesn't have any effect
either - it just remains hung with an <exiting> process on the port.  I
know rebooting is about the only way to get rid of <exiting> processes,
but I obviously dont want to do this every time a terminal hangs.  What
would cause a terminal to hang the line so badly, and is there a way to
fix it??