Need Help with RPC

James H. Coombs ivan!jhc at iris.brown.edu
Wed Apr 3 01:00:00 AEST 1991

In article <2190 at brchh104.bnr.ca> tjelks at stl-08sima.army.mil (Tammie D. Jelks) writes:

>client/server program using rpcgen to generate the server and the client.
>
>When I run it on the SUN-4, a memory fault core dump appeared.  A trace
>was ran against the core, and it gave me a SIGSEGV error message.  I was
>told that the data alignment on the SUN-4 was very strict, but not on the
>SUN-3 and that the 16 bit buffer was full.
>
>How do I go about fixing the data alignment? or How do I take care of this
>problem.

I have had no problems with Sun's RPC on a variety of Sun 4s, SPARCs, Mac
IIs, etc.  RPC uses XDR, which handles data alignment.  You might look for
NIL pointers in your data.  xdr_pointer() can handle them, but
xdr_reference() cannot.  Also, watch out for strings.  If you use
xdr_string() on a NIL (as opposed to ""), then you can expect SEGV.

If this does not help, you might post more information--at least your RPC
program.