CC compiler corrupted

Boyd Merworth merworth at hermes.chpc.utexas.edu
Mon Apr 29 05:20:00 AEST 1991

I'm running SunOS 4.1.1 on a SPARCstation IPC.  I had a couple of parity
errors, the machine crashed and I rebooted.  This happened during the
night when the machine was basically idle.  Since then I've been unable to
use the C compiler, /usr/lib/ccom, due to the following error message:

	parhelion-> cc tmp.c
	ld.so: __DYNAMIC version 0 not supported
	parhelion->

This happens when try I to compile ANY C program.

The binary seems to have become corrupted since the system crashed.  A cmp
with /usr/lib/ccom from another IPC, same version of the OS was installed
there, does show a difference:

	parhelion-> cmp ccom ccom.old
	ccom ccom.old differ: char 81921, line 320
	parhelion->

Using "cmp -l" reveals losts of differences.  Anyone ever have this happen
to them?  Anyone have any ideas as to why /usr/lib/ccom was bashed during
the crash?  Running fsck finds no problems with the filesystem.

Boyd Merworth
merworth at chpc.utexas.edu	{harvard,gatech,uunet}!cs.utexas.edu!merworth