Exabyte problems/questions on Suns

Douglas Harvey drharvey at chinet.chi.il.us
Wed Apr 17 11:00:00 AEST 1991

A couple of questions on 8mm tape systems; I apologize if they have
already been asked before.  For background, we have a network of Sun
Sparcstations running SunOS 4.1 (a few are running 4.1.1).  We have a
variety of tape devices, ranging from 3 3480-compatible tape drives with
autoloaders to around 34 8mm tape systems.

1) We have been having a lot of I/O errors with our 8mm tape systems.
   Up until recently we had been using Sony P6-120MP Video 8 tapes,
   at around $7 each.  Now we are using Maxell HS-8/112 data tapes,
   at around $13 each or so.  The I/O errors don't occur nearly so
   often, but they still do occur -- is this to be expected?

   My impression (right or wrong) is that 8mm systems are most
   commonly used for system backups.  While we use them for that,
   they are also our everyday work media, as we deal with very large
   sets of data; logical files spanning 20 or more tapes are common.
   Are 8mm tapes designed for this type of constant use?

2) Is there a cheaper source for the Exabyte-type of tape cleaners?
   The exabyte-brand tape cleaner seems terribly overpriced at $30-40
   for just 3 cleanings.  Just by looking at the tape it seems one
   could easily fit another 10 cleanings worth of tape on the cartridge.

3) Is anyone using compression units with their exabyte drives?  We tried
   but were unsuccessful in getting the units to work properly.  When we
   tested them, the compression unit would return the last block twice,
   such as when using 'dd'.

Douglas Harvey                      Email: drharvey at chinet.UUCP
Ronald J. Krumm & Associates, Inc.  Compuserve: 72341,104
1 Riveside Road                     Phone: (708) 447-1771
Riverside, IL  60546