Openwindows doesn't work on new install of 4.1.1

Dan Davison Davison at uh.edu
Mon Apr 29 05:20:00 AEST 1991

I just installed 4.1.1 on my Sun-3/80, 2x104 MB disk, 8MB memory.  When I
try to use Openwindows, I get dumped back to the shell prompt with some
strange error messages.  If you've seen something like this or know how to
fix it, I would appreciate hearing from you.

[all below simulated]

% /usr/openwin/bin/openwin
XNeWS: can't find fonts
FONTPATH="/usr/openwin/lib/fonts"             <--but they *are* there!
giving up
/usr/openwin/bin/xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): unable to
connect to X server

If I put a -xv at the top of the openwin shell script the problem comes
at:

/usr/openwin/bin/xinit -- /usr/openwin/bin/xnews :0 -auth \
          /home/dbd/.xnews.theory:0

And if I just try to start xinit directly using this command:
        xinit -- /usr/openwin/bin/xnews
I get
        ld.so: libX11.so.4: not found

Which is true, it's libX11.so.1 in /usr/openwin/lib.

I did not install the openwin demos or extra fonts due to lack of disk
space. (Couldn't put the manual pages on either, sheesh). Otherwise
everything appears to be in the right places (/usr/openwin/...) on the
non-NFS-mounted /usr partition.

Thanks in advance,

davison at uh.edu, DAVISON at UHOU, davison at uhnix1.UUCP, voice:713-749-7599
fax 713-749-3239 Snail: Dept. of Biochemical Sciences, U. of Houston,
4800 Calhoun, Houston, TX 77004 USA