Sun neophyte looking for pointers

Tim Kuehn timk at wynnds.xenitec.on.ca
Thu Apr 18 07:14:13 AEST 1991

I've never worked with a Sun machine before and am in need of pointers to
any information on Sun stuff I can get. I'm looking for a "starter"
machine to learn about all things Sun along with running a a nonhomogenous
computing environment. What I'd like to get is:

- CPU
- reasonable HD and tape drive (or someplace to put them as I can get a
  HD/tape drive from other sources - sun's use SCSI's in their machines
  don't they?)
- Ethernet
- Color monitor (probably could settle for a mono)
- OS
- dev sys (are the OS and Dev Sys's sold seperately or together?),
- maybe GUI and Xwindow dev sw.
- any other "interesting" stuff that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg for
  something that could end up as a doorstop....(maybe TCP/IP, NFS,
  etc...???)

However, I don't know where to start, or what kind of $$ I'd be looking at
to get an "older" machine, or what's out there that'd be "interesting" for
a developer/user to start out with, how much RAM would be reasonable to
have, CPU performance, etc....

Nor do I know if I'm dreaming about some of this stuff or what...

I'm not nearly as concerned with "recent technology" HW wise as I just
want to find a cheap machine for learning, to "get my feet wet" as it
were.

Any pointers, suggestions, etc. experienced Sun users out there can give
me? I'll summarize in a reasonable period of time if there's interest from
other use.net'ers.

My background - I'm coming from a DOS/Xenix environment (I run a SCO Xenix
2.3.3 system here and do a fair bit of work in the messy-dos environment,
as well as various Xenix hacking).

   Tim Kuehn			    TDK Consulting Services  (519)-888-0766
   timk at wynnds.xenitec.on.ca  -or-  !{watmath|lsuc}!xenitec!wynnds!timk
   Valpo EE turned loose on unsuspecting world! News at 11!